Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Things old and nearly forgotten

Time it was and what a time it was, I have a photo graph. Preserve your memories. They're all that's left you.
There are things that we do in this world that are unexplainable. Why would some people put so much effort into a project for their posterity, with no guarantee that posterity will even know about it, let alone about the effort? The hope of a better future? A wish that all children will have a better world. A time when hopes and dreams require so much energy that thought is pushed aside by the brute force of it.
Many came to a new world for a better life. Many came to a new town for better jobs and opportunities. Many came to a new University to make a statement and a place for it. Many chose one opportunity over family, friends, and history.
It is not good to look back and wonder what would be different had I taken another path, or withheld the energy at the time for something else. There are choices and consequences and rewards.
My children had wonderful rewards. I had wonderful rewards. And for 25 years, others had wonderful rewards. I don't regret the energy spent, the time committed, the sweat and stress endured. In that moment, I made decisions for my life and the lives of many others and I am still proud of them.
I won't cry for yesterday, there's an ordinary world, somewhere, I have to find. And as I try to find my way, to the ordinary world, somehow I will survive.

1 comment:

Kyrwyn said...

We were so busy trying to recover from our travel schedules on Friday that I didn't catch how important to you ICNS has been. More than just my nursery school, it was one of your major projects at that time. I'm sorry we weren't there with you to encounter its last hurrah, especially since the Center and Friends have changed so much since your time there. It's hard to say goodbye to something you care about in a room of strangers.

For what it's worth, I have many happy memories of ICNS and that playground. It will be difficult to find a children's community for my own (theoretical) kids that measures up.