Tuesday, October 26, 2021

The Products of Fall Harvest

 Each year, I spend time producing items from fresh produce to use in the winter. It is not that we actually have shortages of groceries, but more that I am used to making my own stuff and like what I make.

Let's talk Pumpkin puree. I make pumpkin bread, pumpkin soup, and pumpkin pie. I make those items for gifts or meals or fun. But I am not so sure that I like canned pumpkin. It always tastes canned and bland. So when pumpkins are available, I make my own puree from fresh roasted pumpkin. I blend different types of squash to get a rich flavor and deep color. I then freeze the puree in 2 cup or 1 cup measures. Over the next 3 months, I will have lovely pumpkin dishes right in my own garage.

And what about chili. Always a great dish when you are tired of cooking. It tastes better after the flavors have blended. I pack 2 servings in a glass container and freeze it, too. And fresh corn on the cob gets cut off the cob and frozen. I have dehydrated vegetables for making soups. Doggie biscuits made with real meat. Canned jams and jellies. The larder is full. 

But most people don't do this. Up here in the far north of Washington, we sometimes have shortages of items. The cost of fresh produce fluctuates and the quality suffers. Sometimes the roads are snowy and difficult to use. We get power outages, too. With a supply of candles and batteries, I can make a nice dinner on a gas burner and wait out the outage. A bit of effort and planning can relieve a lot of potential stress.

When I lived in Southern California, there was always the threat of earthquake or power outages, drought, and union strikes. I learned how to keep prepared for a week of trouble with supply and services. This knowledge and theses skills have transferred well to this northern area I now live in. But even up here, the skills are rarely seen in other people.

When Thanksgiving comes, I am so ready to stop working hard and start enjoying the bounty I have stashed away. I celebrate most of December with nice dinners and friends. As the various products work down through the winter, I am blessed with memories of the abundance of the summer and fall. I hope everyone has the abundance in their lives as well.

Enjoy each season and each blessing.

No comments: