Sunday, February 3, 2019

Confessions

In 2008, I went to BSG (Black Sheep Gathering) for my first time. I bought some fleece. As I remember, there were two and some alpaca stuff.
The following year, Eduard went with me to BSG. Then I missed a year. Then I went with some friends. It is now 2012. After that I went every year and it seems that each time I bought a fleece. I had brown, morrit, gray, and white. I stopped going in 2016 because I had many other pressing things happening. But in that year, 2016, I bought 1/2 of three fleeces- Cool and the gang.
I had sent some of the fleeces to be commercially washed and combed. Some fleece I do myself. But over the years I have built a rather large "stash" of washed fleece and yarn.
I am just now finishing spinning the 2009 and 2010 white fleeces. I did the dark brown and morrit fleeces awhile back. And I have partially spun the Cool n the gang group.
I have been spinning about 1 pound of fleece per month for 6 months. I have made a dent in the fleece pile. At the rate of 1 pound per month I will possibly complete all the spinning in my lifetime. But there is also the cotton, the luxury fibers and the weaving. And Sewing.
What was I thinking...infinite time and energy? Like a teenager?
So I have set completion goals. When I am done spinning this bag of white wool, I will start weaving it. I have enough for several blankets. When I am done weaving the blankets, I can spin again. I will finish up spinning Cool n the gang and make a blanket of that one too.
As much as I love buying fleece and spinning it up, I just can't do it without making something from the yarn.
The confession is that I am addicted to fleece. I love it raw. I love it washed. I love combing and spinning. I love fondling the yarns. I just love wool. And I love cotton also. I still have about a year's worth of home grown cotton to spin. I don't knit fast enough to make much with the yarn. I have numerous projects started and not finished yet.
So I am going to use my blog space to keep track of my progress on spinning and weaving. It will keep me honest.
Current knitting project- socks, teal, commercial yarn, gift from friend. I need to finish the rib cuffs, about 4 inches.
Swirl shawl- commercial yarn, green, has cashmere in it. Slow project with lots of little ends. Could finish in about a month if I tried.
Hex blanket using left over yarn- intended to last forever on the needles. Eventually it will be too large to continue.
Cashmere shawl in beige- need to rip it and start over.
Sewing- finish the Christmas table runner (part 2), reindeer quilt, dresden quilt, and two baby quilts.
Weaving- blue rug, silk placemats, first white blanket.
There are more, but we will start with these.

No comments: